The Smart Jacket line is designed with incredible ventilation for further versatility and comfort. The external fabric of the jacket is ventilated, but the most innovative ventilation is found inside, as the Shield folds over on itself. In normal riding conditions, this enables air to flow through the front. In case of activation, the Shield expands and covers the entire chest area, providing maximum protection. The Smart Jacket also features water-repellent fabric and the integrated D-air technology is waterproof to protect riders regardless of weather conditions.
The “brain” of Smart Jacket is the triggering algorithm: At a rate of 1,000 times per second, the electronic central unit analyzes data transmitted by seven sensors and detects dangerous situations, activating the system only when necessary. Through two decades of development and extensive data collection, Dainese has refined its sophisticated D-air algorithm to predict accidents, including stationary vehicle and stationary rider collisions.
The Shield is the heart of Smart Jacket protection, an airbag featuring Dainese’s patented technology that integrates proprietary internal microfilaments that guarantee inflation is even and controlled throughout the entire surface. When activated, The Shield envelops the body and delivers maximum protection to the rider. The Shield covers the chest and back, ensuring the same degree of protection as seven Level 1 back protectors, despite not having hardshell protective gear inside. The result is an extremely light and practical garment that riders can easily fold and place in a lateral bag, a top box or in a backpack when not in use.
Smart Jacket hi-viz inherits the best practical features from the third-generation D-air Road range, including the ability to have the airbag replaced by an authorized dealer. The long battery life — with 25 hours of operation when fully charged — makes the Smart Jacket even more usable, and the garment recharges quickly.
- D-Air, MotoGP airbag technology
- Wearable under or over any jacket or outfit
- Seven on-board sensors
- Data is monitored 1,000 times per second
- Algorithm detects low-sides, high-sides and object/vehicle and rear-end collisions
- Collisions are detected even when stopped, e.g. rear-end collision at a stop light
- 26-hour battery life
- No hard-shell parts — airbag provides protection only when needed
- Chest protection meets or exceeds CE Level 2 for airbags; transmitted force is less than 2.5 kilonewtons
- Standard armor CE level 2 transmits less than 9 kilonewtons, so the airbag disperses over three times more energy than its rigid counterpart
- Back protection meets or exceeds CE Level 1 for airbags; transmitted force is less than 4.5 kilonewtons
- Standard armor CE level 1 transmits less than 18 kilonewtons, so the airbag disperses over four times more energy than its rigid counterpart
- Weight: 1.8 kilograms (4 pounds): This is less than a motorbike jacket with certified hardshell protectors
- All D-air products use helium, while for Smart Jacket, a blend of helium and argon is used.
- After each deployment: D Air system reset and airbag replacement Cost: $250
Dainese Smart Jacket is available in six sizes, with versions for men and women. It is available in stores and online now at Dainese.com