Traveling on a motorcycle has many perks without a doubt; for example, you don’t need to be too bothered by the traffic because you can easily pass through between cars and make your way to the front of the line. Motorcycles are easier to maintain and are less costly in comparison to bigger vehicles. Our personal favorite factor about owning a motorcycle is that you can easily travel up north and don’t have to worry about narrow roads because motorcycles can easily access difficult terrains that most vehicle owners cannot.
However, there are a few disadvantages of owning a motorcycle especially if that’s your only way of commuting. First, only two people can travel on a motorcycle. Second, you are not protected from the environment around you, so you are easily exposed to dirt, pollution and mud. You are directly affected by the weather conditions, too. If it’s pouring rain, then you might need to seek shelter or wait before you can continue riding.
The biggest disadvantage of owning a motorcycle is the lack or storage and protection for your luggage. Luckily, you can cope with this setback, as there are ways you can still carry luggage and belongings from one place to another on a motorcycle.
- Hard Cover Saddlebags: Hard cover saddlebags are specifically designed around the width of your motorcycle and can be installed on the sides of the backseat or over the number plate of your motorcycle. As the name suggests, hard cover saddlebags have a hard exterior and are usually installed for their ability of being waterproof and more durable. You can easily carry electronics, such as laptops, inside hard cover saddlebags and you don’t have to worry about them getting ruined because of the rain. Hard cover saddlebags are also very good for security because they usually come with top notch security systems installed. Many people also prefer getting hard cover saddlebags because they are designed for the width of your motorcycle and it can be quite a task to install or uninstall them, so the chances of theft are low. You can also get your hard cover saddlebags customized according to your preferences.
- Soft Cover Saddlebags: Although soft cover saddlebags are not always as waterproof or as durable as their hard cover counterparts, soft cover saddle bags are very flexible, making storage easy. Soft cover saddlebags are very easy to install and uninstall, quickly converting into a day bag to be brought into a hotel without hassle.
- Backpacks: Backpacks come in a variety of options and you can choose amongst what you want to buy according to your preferences. Backpacks usually come with many pockets so it’s easier to organize your belongings. Backpacks are spacious, flexible and waterproof. There is no need for bike installation since you carry it on you during your ride.
Since you only need to properly install saddlebags on your motorcycles, there are several factors you should keep in mind when buying motorcycle saddlebags.
- Security: Security is a very important factor and should be a motivator for you when buying luggage for your motorcycle. Make sure you are able to store your valuables without risk of them being stolen.
- Protection: Protection against the rain, snow, mud and other external factors that can ruin your luggage is necessary. Look into luggage that cannot be easily detached from your motorcycle to make sure your belongings are secure on the roadway in the event of an accident.
- Keep emergency equipment: Your storage space should be spacious enough for you to be able to carry equipment for emergencies such as spare deflated tires, master links, a small hand pump and even a mini tool kit.
Your destination and the route also play a very important factor when it comes to choosing what kind of a saddlebag you should mount. If you’re someone who is always traveling towards the mountains or places where you will meet rough terrains and unpredictable weather, it is suggested to purchase a storage bag that is reliable, waterproof, and offers extra space for equipment and tools.
Whether you go on long trips or short trips, you need to be carrying a bag that can be easily installed and uninstalled. Chances of you carrying your belongings in and out of your hotel are high. If your storage bag is difficult to install and uninstall, it can be a huge inconvenience for you.
Other factors that really need to be prioritized when installing saddlebags on your motorcycle include:
- Capacity: You need to be aware of the capacity of your saddlebag, how many items and how much weight can that saddlebag carry. If you are not careful about this factor and tend to go overboard with the capacity that your motorcycle or saddlebag can hold, then this can become extremely unsafe. Your motorcycle can be difficult to balance and drive. If you lose your balance or are unable to drive properly, then you are more likely to be in an accident.
- Measurement of the Motorcycle: Each motorcycle has its own capacity and has its own qualities. You need to be aware of the accurate measurements of your motorcycle so you can find the best kind of saddlebag that can easily fit on your motorcycle without any hassle.
- Narrow Roads: Remember that when you do install a saddlebag, the measurements of your motorcycle will change and it will become wider from behind and that can affect the places and roads you can travel to. You also need to drive more carefully because if you’re used to driving swiftly in between cars and traffic, you can easily forget that you have newly installed saddlebags.
- Cost: There are many options of saddlebags that you can purchase and they come at a variety of costs. Your job is to ensure you get the most cost effective deal out of them all. Do your research and don’t purchase a saddlebag until or unless you are 100% sure about it.
- Quality: Cost does not mean that you should compromise on the quality of the saddlebag. The stronger and more durable saddlebags that are available allow for longevity of use over time.
- Customization: Customization is the fun part of owning saddlebags. You can get creative with paint, colors and design, so choose a saddlebag that will give you the freedom of being as versatile and fun as you possibly want.
Link: Viking Cycle