It’s the powersports industry’s version of TV’s “Shark Tank,” and these are the five competitor companies chosen to present their business plans to industry leaders, media and influencers, in conjunction with the MIC’s AIMExpo trade show:
- Brake Free Technologies
- Hare Motorcycles
- Lawson AWD
- SportBike Chic
- Street Skills
These five finalist firms, selected from an original group of 11, will continue to work with veteran industry mentors for the next few months, developing their business plans. And after their plan presentations in January, a panel of industry experts will select a first-place winner.
“This is a really good group with a lot of interesting new ideas,” said Cam Arnold, who runs the annual competition. “The big benefit for all the finalists is getting to work closely with the Gas Tank mentors, some of our industry’s smartest leaders. I again thank all of them for generously lending their time and sharing their knowledge.”
The MIC Gas Tank Competition was created to help give powersports entrepreneurs and their businesses a boost. Every year, it’s open to individuals and groups, anyone with a new product or service idea.
“Entrepreneurs bring new ideas and energy to the marketplace,” said Gas Tank mentor Gary Gustafson, president of G-Force Powersports Consulting. “The competition is an incredible opportunity to roll up my sleeves and develop the next generation of entrepreneurs in the motorcycle industry.”
“I look forward to making connections with leaders in the motorcycle industry who have a firm understanding of the relevant issues and trends related to motorcycling,” said Gas Tank finalist Jon DelVecchio, motorcycling coach, Cornering Confidence Program, at Street Skills LLC. “The MIC Gas Tank program is valuable to the growth of my Cornering Confidence training program because the MIC is the motorcycle industry. I was inspired after hearing previous Gas Tank winners describe their experience on a motorcycling podcast.”
“In the search for a springboard to jump-start Hare Motorcycles, we found the MIC’s Gas Tank program,” said company founder Steve Harter. “Entrance into the program and the mentorship process propelled Hare Motorcycles from ideation to a fully codified business plan.”
The five MIC Gas Tank finalists:
Brake Free Technologies of Littleton, Colorado
Mentor: Jayson Wickenkamp, Fox Racing
- Brake Free Technologies designs and manufactures innovative safety products. We are a team of riders who share a love of the sport and a desire to bridge the gap between safety and style. We are passionate about creating truly beautiful and functional products for the sport we love. Our first product is Brake Free – an ultra-bright smart LED brake light that instantly improves a motorcyclist’s visibility. No need for a wired installation or connected apps.
Hare Motorcycles of Jamison, Pennsylvania
Mentor: Gary Gustafson, G-Force Powersports Consulting
- Hare Motorcycles is an energetic startup with the goal of providing accessible personalized electric motorcycles.
Lawson AWD of Somerset, Wisconsin
Mentor: Jim Kirkland, industry veteran
- The Lawson All Terrain Motorcycle (ATM) provides the freedom to go farther with very low impact to the environment. We plan to manufacture and sell a full-power, full-time, all-wheel-drive (AWD) motorcycle specifically designed for the average rider to easily traverse difficult terrain and to have a very low impact on the terrain.
SportBike Chic of Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Mentor: Tracy Motz, industry veteran
- SportBike Chic wants to clothe motorcycle enthusiasts in safety gear, regardless of size. We’re here to fill the gap in what’s available to our women riders. Our jeans, for example, are designed for slender women to plus-size and full-size women. Even the accessories, like our patented SportBike Chic motorcycle Tank Purse™ line, give our riders more of a stylish, yet very functional flare. While the name has its origins from a sportbike enthusiast, coverage is coverage. Our products are great for sportbikes or cruisers.
Street Skills of Churchville, New York
Mentor: Walt Fulton, Streetmasters
- Street Skills LLC has a creative solution to solve the problem of unskilled motorcyclists. Its unique Cornering Confidence online course has the potential to provide underserved motorcyclists with the skills necessary for success. The Cornering Confidence online course is an interactive self-paced learning experience designed to increase motorcycling skills in a short period of time. The course is available on any digital device, at any time and place the student chooses, and at a reasonable price.