BMW Motorrad USA has announced that, for the very first time, BMW Motorrad Days will be celebrated in the U.S. and will be held in partnership with the Barber Vintage Festival in Birmingham, Alabama. Taking place from Oct. 6-8, 2023, BMW Motorrad Days Americas will be a celebration of the storied 100-year history of BMW motorcycles. BMW Motorrad looks forward to celebrating its very special centenary with not only BMW fans but with all motorcycling fans from all over the Americas. It will be a weekend not to be missed!
In December 1922, BMW chief designer Max Friz put the first full-scale BMW motorcycle on the drawing board. At its heart was a 494cc, 8.5-horsepower, air-cooled, two-cylinder, four-stroke boxer engine. The first BMW motorcycle, the R 32, was unveiled in September 1923 at the German Motor Show in Berlin. Production began that same month in an area of the BMW engine works on the edge of the Munich’s Oberwiesenfeld airfield. Just 56 motorcycles were built that first year. Those humble beginnings of BMW motorcycle production launched an unprecedented success story that would span a century.
For 15 years, thousands of fans from around the world have traveled to Germany to celebrate BMW Motorrad Days and finally, during this important year, the fans from all over the Americas will have an event of their own where they can gather to celebrate with friends old and new.
“We are so very excited to have the opportunity to celebrate our 100-year anniversary with our friends at the Barber Motorsports Park,” said Luciana Francisco, head of marketing and product, BMW Motorrad USA. “After all, you only get to celebrate such a significant milestone once, and you have to do it right. There is no better event than the Barber Vintage Festival to co-host the first ever BMW Motorrad Days Americas. We look forward to celebrating our centenary with the extended BMW enthusiast family from Canada to Argentina and from all of the amazing places in between.”
The Barber Vintage Festival, a three-day motorcycle festival, is one of the largest vintage festivals in the country. Each year, this event brings 65,000-plus motorcycle fans from around the country.
“We are honored to have the first ever BMW Motorrad Days Americas take place at Barber Vintage Festival,” said George Dennis, president of ZOOM Motorsports, the exclusive promotor of Barber Motorsports Park. “This event is a must-see for any motorcycle fans or Birmingham residents.”
The three-day festival will include vintage racing, a fan zone with vendors and entertainment, a swap meet with hundreds of vendors selling vintage motorcycles and parts, demo rides, training experiences, family fun and of course the world-famous Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum.
Experiences will include:
- Fan Zone: Product display, beer garden, live music, food trucks, partner displays, merchandise store, kid zone
- Ride experiences: Demo rides of the latest motorcycles, off-road demos led by BMW Performance Center, electric demos with the CE 04 and more
- Stunt shows: Chris McNeil performing awe inspiring stunts all weekend (TBD)
- Ride-in Bike Show: Vintage and custom motorcycles with special awards
- Barber Museum scavenger hunt: Explore the museum to find historic highlights
- DoubleR Fest: Register to ride on-track with Nate Kern during DoubleR Fest, Monday Oct 9. You do not have to ride a BMW motorcycle, but seats are limited, so register now! https://www.kerntrackdays.com/event-details/doublerfest-barber.
Discounted Festival Tickets through BMW Motorrad USA
Attendees can purchase Barber Vintage Festival tickets at a 20% discount by registering through BMW Motorrad Days Americas, and they may pre-register for BMW Demo Rides by visiting the following link: https://mdaysamericas.bmwmotorcyclesevents.com.
Event Information and Links
- Dates: Oct. 6-8
- Location: Barber Motorsports Park
- Address: 6040 Barber Motorsports Parkway, Leeds, AL 35094
- BMW Motorrad Days Americas information: https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/experience/events/BMW-Motorrad-Days-Americas.html#/section-bmw-motorrad-100-years
- Barber Vintage Festival information: https://www.barbermuseum.org/barber-vintage-festival