New Suzuki 776cc Parallel-Twin Engine
For several decades Suzuki has produced innovative, well-performing, and reliable engines for a variety of motorcycles, and the fully new 776cc dual-overhead camshaft (DOHC) parallel-twin engine in the 2023 GSX-8S and V-STROM 800DE models continue this stellar reputation.
Choosing a parallel-twin configuration led to the creation of a new compact powerplant that permits design flexibility so Suzuki’s designers can create ideal chassis geometry for a variety of motorcycle types. These goals were met with a narrow width, short length and lightweight engine that can be positioned in the chassis for optimal handling and an ergonomically sound and comfortable riding position.
Suzuki’s new parallel twin provides plenty of torque and peak power with smooth throttle response throughout its broad powerband. To avoid the deficiencies of other parallel-twin configurations, this engine employs 270-degree crankshaft timing with the Suzuki patented, industry-exclusive Suzuki Cross Balancer to deliver a smooth, torque-rich experience. This innovative balancer design not only smooths operation but is key to each motorcycles’ light weight and compact size, resulting in stable and nimble handling.
Suzuki’s electronic throttle system helps the rider precisely control engine power that flows through the Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) and into the six-speed transmission fitted with a standard Bi-directional Quick Shifter. Riders may further tailor the engine’s response using the Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) which includes the Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (SDMS) and Suzuki Advanced Traction Control (SATC) systems.
- Engine: 776cc, four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC parallel-twin
- Bore by Stroke: 84 millimeters by 70 millimeters (3.3 inches by 2.8 inches)
- Compression Ratio: 12.8:1
- Fuel System: Fuel injection, 42-millimeter throttle bodies (two)
- Starter: Electric, Easy Start System-equipped
- Lubrication: Force-fed circulation, wet sump
- Cooling: Radiator, thermostatically control inlet valve, thermostatically controlled cooling fan. Liquid-cooled oil cooler
New Suzuki 2023 GSX-8S
The 2023 GSX-8S is brand-new, engineered from the ground up to deliver streetfighter performance for a new generation that’s sure to turn heads and “Make a Statement.” Powerful, agile and ready to go, the 8S offers a strong appeal to a broad range of riders, regardless of age or riding experience.
The GSX-8S joins the Suzuki line featuring trendsetting naked sportbike styling combined with real-world performance, user-friendly electronic rider aids, confident handling and optimized comfort.
During the development of the new GSX-8S, Suzuki followed a strategic process aimed at creating superior performance and value by focusing on rider needs. Suzuki engineers aimed for the ideal combination of engine and suspension performance, ergonomics and features. To reach this ideal combination in one bike, multiple optimization tests were conducted, with consumer feedback given to achieve an ideal balance. The new GSX-8S was refined through a strategic and constructive process, resulting in what we believe is the ideal middleweight street bike.
The new GSX-8S features Suzuki’s brand-new parallel-twin 776cc DOHC engine mounted in a new frame design. Marking a new innovative path for future Suzuki products, the GSX-8S is a brand-new, naked, middleweight streetfighter with a robust engine, an agile chassis, a suite of electronic rider aids, plus stunning looks and a smart price that’s in line with the demands of a new generation of riders. Every aspect of the motorcycle is geared to deliver a satisfying experience to riders who desire more power than a 650-class motorcycle may deliver and who desire a satisfying ride that is exciting and dependable.
Wrapped in Suzuki’s new generation styling for the GSX line, the GSX-8S features an aggressive, mass-forward look that is slim, compact, well-balanced and ready for action.
- The fully new GSX-8S is a thoroughly modern street fighter design that sets a trend for an exciting new generation of Suzuki motorcycles ready to carry the brand into the future.
- New, compact 776cc parallel-twin engine uses a 270-degree firing order for strong torque production and uses Suzuki’s exclusive Cross Balancer system for smoother operation.
- The Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) smooths shifting and engine braking, while shifting has never been easier with the Bi-directional Quick Shift system.
- High-quality KYB suspension delivers controlled handling while anti-lock brake system (ABS)-equipped NISSIN radial-mounted four-piston brake calipers with dual, floating brake rotors provide controlled stopping power.
- The GSX-8S uses the Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) with a three-mode Suzuki Drive Mode Selector and the four-mode Advanced Traction Control System plus Suzuki’s popular Easy Start and Low RPM Assist systems.
- Select from Suzuki’s Pearl Cosmic Blue, Pearl Tech White, or Metallic Matte Black No. 2/Glass Sparkle Black paint scheme — each featuring unique logos and graphics that help identify the sport’s newest performance motorcycle.
New Suzuki 2023 V-Strom 800DE
The resounding success of the V-Strom product line has opened a new chapter with the all-new 2023 V-STROM 800DE line: a new product destined to advance a rider’s adventure. The growth and evolution of the V-STROM series has continued since the line’s introduction 20 years ago. The new 800 V-STROMs feature the same all-around capabilities as Suzuki’s recently launched V-STROM 1050DE but in a smaller displacement bike, offering middleweight performance, precise handling and a wide set of features.
The V-STROM’s enduring popularity since 2002 has resulted in strong global sales results. To date, worldwide sales have totaled more than 440,000 units. And now, the all-new V-STROM 800DE is ready to break new ground once again.
With the all-new V-STROM 800DE, Suzuki focused on advancing a rider’s adventure while delivering on the needs of a broader V-STROM customer base. In response to these demands, Suzuki engineers’ objective was to design the ideal adventure package, with engine and frame size optimized for spirited adventure riding. Offering features that advance pure riding excitement no matter the adventure. A new level of versatility and performance was the goal.
To realize these diverse needs, multiple optimization tests were fielded, and consumer feedback was analyzed and implemented to achieve a balance between several factors. The new V-STROM 800DE’s design and specs were finalized through this strategic and constructive process, resulting in an ideal package for riders.
With the ideal package realized, the V-STROM 800DE features Suzuki’s brand-new parallel twin 776cc DOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder engine, a rugged new steel frame, the longest amount of suspension travel and the tallest ground clearance of any V-STROM model ever.
Every aspect of the design is geared to satisfy riders demanding more power than a 650cc class bike may deliver, with the ability to tour comfortably and confidently explore riding adventures no matter the road.
- New, compact 776cc parallel-twin engine uses a 270-degree firing order for strong torque delivery and is equipped with Suzuki’s exclusive Cross Balancer system for smooth operation.
- Equipped with the longest suspension and highest ground clearance of any V-Strom model, the V- STROM 800DE has a 21-inch front wheel for true off-road capability.
- The Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) includes Traction Control with a trail-oriented GRAVEL mode plus rider-adjustable ABS with two levels of sensitivity plus the ability to switch off the rear wheel ABS when riding off-road.
- New technology, mono-focus LED headlights are vertically stacked with a position light below a trim, height-adjustable windscreen, while a multifunction full-color TFT instrument panel delivers a wealth of information.
- Visually stunning, the all-new angular bodywork retains Suzuki’s distinctive Adventure “beak” and is available in Champion Yellow No. 2 or Glass Matte Mechanical Gray topped with new, subtle graphics. The V-STROM 800DE Adventure is available in the popular Glass Sparkle Black color scheme.