Zero Motorcycles has announced the arrival of its all-new 2013 Zero MMX military motorcycle.
The MMX was developed exclusively for military use in the U.S. Special Operations Forces (SOF) and provides Special Operations riders with unique tactical advantages over traditional combustion motorcycles, as the electric powertrain allows for rapid movement over hostile terrain in near silence and minimal heat signature.
Zero Motorcycles’ engineering team worked under military contract to develop the motorcycle. The MMX has met the most stringent standards set forth by the U.S. military, as an undisclosed number of MMX motorcycles are currently undergoing full operational testing.
“It was a very rewarding experience for the Zero team to go through such an exacting development process," said Abe Askenazi, chief technology officer for Zero Motorcycles. "The military needed a very specific set of core features on the MMX, and we were incredibly thankful to work side-by-side with them to deliver such a unique product. The great news for our civilian customers is that we made the decision to incorporate into our 2013 MX, FX and XU retail motorcycles virtually all of the powertrain enhancements associated with satisfying this project’s stringent military requirements."
Key features of the 2013 Zero MMX Military Motorcycle include:
- Specialized military dash for quick and centralized mainline controls
- Keyless ignition engaged with dash toggle for quicker departure
- Modular and quick-swappable power packs
- Wet operational abilities in up to one meter submersion
- Switchable headlight for nighttime stealth
- Integrated wiring to accommodate quick installation of front and rear infrared systems
- Safety override and reserve power capabilities to extend range during extreme situations
- Aggressive foot pegs and hand guards for optimal control
- Tie-down eyelets with integrated tow cable and rear seat strap