The Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association, and major ROV manufacturers and distributors, want to remind drivers and passengers to be safe and responsible while enjoying their outdoor fun.
“The holidays are here and for many drivers fortunate to have mild weather, it’s the perfect time to get out and enjoy their side-by-sides,” said ROHVA President Erik Pritchard. “Of course, we want those adventures to wrap up with memories of good times, and that starts with staying safe. And anyone can get a free online, interactive refresher course on driving safety by visiting our website, ROHVA.org.”
The website offers tips including safety strategies and guidelines, techniques for prepping drives and vehicle and advice on good trail etiquette.
“We encourage everyone to take the free ROV E-Course and our hands-on ROV Basic DriverCourse,” Pritchard said. “It’s the best way to learn about side-by-side safety and driving skills. Learning how to better handle these vehicles is not only fun, it will also help keep everyone safe and help protect our driving areas for years to come.”
All drivers and passengers are encouraged to follow these safety guidelines:
1. Always fasten your seatbelt, wear a helmet and other protective gear and keep all parts of your body inside the ROV.
2. Avoid paved surfaces. ROVs are designed to be operated off-highway.
3. Drive only in designated areas, at a safe speed, and use care when turning and crossing slopes.
4. Never drive or ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
5. Never drive an ROV unless you’re 16 or older and have a valid driver’s license. ROVs are not toys.
6. Never carry more passengers than the ROV is designed for, and never allow a passenger who is too small to sit in a passenger seat to ride in the ROV.
7. Read and follow the operator’s manual and warning labels.
8. Take a hands-on ROV Basic DriverCourse and the free online E-Course.