Connect with us
Close Sidebar Panel Open Sidebar Panel

International

Record Attendance Marks 10th Edition of World Ducati Week

In three days, there were 91,596 attendees at the Misano World Circuit, exceeding the previous record of 81,000 attendees set in 2016 by 13 percent.

Advertisement

Click Here to Read More
Advertisement

The 10th edition of World Ducati Week, the international gathering that brings the Ducati community together every two years, ended with a record turnout. WDW2018 engaged and excited tens of thousands of motorcyclists coming from all over the world, meeting at the Misano World Circuit “Marco Simoncelli” from  July20 to 22, to celebrate and share their enthusiasm for Ducati.

An incredible number of people and lots of motorcycles made this unique celebration even greater. In three days there were 91,596 attendees at the Misano World Circuit, exceeding the previous record of 81,000 attendees set in 2016 by 13 percent.

The participants travelled to the Adriatic Riviera from five continents, representing 73 countries. While 60 percent of the riders were Italian, the remaining 40 percent are evidence of the power and appeal of the Ducati brand around the world.

Advertisement

Of particular note were Ken Lu and Lv Fei, the two Chinese riders who rode their Multistrada 1200 Enduro from Xinjiang (China) to Bologna in only seven days. The journey across continents was an extraordinary undertaking which saw them travel 7,575 km through 10 countries to arrive at Misano Adriatico.

Many activities and opportunities make WDW2018 a unique event. Meetings and autograph sessions with Ducati riders, riding courses and test rides of new motorcycles, taxi drives on the track with high performance Lamborghini, Audi and Seat cars, technical courses at Ducati University, performances by stuntmen and laps on the track all take place. Many thematic areas, each with different activities and atmospheres, include the colourful “Land of Joy” of the Ducati Scrambler world, the Monster Village (celebrating the iconic bike’s 25th anniversary), an area dedicated to the Panigale and the Multistrada Experience featuring Carlin Dunne’s Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak, winner of the Pikes Peak 2018 race.

Advertisement

The exclusive “preview room,” prepared just for WDW2018 participants, also aroused great interest and long queues, giving visitors a preview of one of Ducati’s new motorcycles for 2019.

The event surface area was impressive, including a total of about 90,000 square meters inside the Misano World Circuit “Marco Simoncelli,” 75,000 in the paddock and more than 15,000 dedicated to the off-road area and Ducati Scrambler Flat Race & School and DRE Safety.

One of the most exciting moments of this edition of WDW took place on Saturday, July 21, when the “Race of Champions” started, preceded by a spectacular flyover of the Frecce Tricolori aerobatic team. The race featured 12 Ducati MotoGP and SBK Champions competing on the Misano circuit riding the Panigale V4 S, specially prepared with racing configuration and customized liveries. The race was won by Michele Pirro, followed by Rabat, Forés, Miller, Melandri, Rinaldi, then Dovizioso. Siméon, Petrucci, Lorenzo, Abraham and Bayliss completed the exceptional line-up of the “Race of Champions.”

Advertisement

All Ducati employees were actively involved in planning the event, and during the weekend of the WDW, which this year included more than 250 people from the company (managers, engineers, technicians and employees) as part of the organizational staff.

Ducati was able to count on the collaboration of the Municipality of Misano, as well as the Municipalities of Rimini, Cattolica and Riccione, not to mention the government of the Republic of San Marino, which organized and supported the evening events. Last, but certainly not least given its key role, the Marco Simoncelli Misano World Circuit played a key role, as the venue has hosted all editions of the WDW right from the start.

Advertisement

Link: Ducati

Advertisement
Click to comment
Connect
Motorcycle & Powersports News