Pirelli Tire North America announced, in collaboration with their road race vendors, the continuation of the Pirelli Nation Track Record Bounty Program in 2020. The bounty – issued in the form of a tire voucher – is available to riders who set a new absolute motorcycle track record on Pirelli race compound tires during a 2020 sanctioned event. Following the success of 2019 that saw seven bounties awarded, Pirelli continues to strengthen its efforts as a way to give back to racers nationwide.
“The program has had great success during the course of the past several years,” said Oscar Solis, road racing manager, Pirelli. “Pirelli remains committed to the grassroots level of racing by rewarding racers for their accomplishments when using Pirelli racing compounds. We’re continuously improving our tire range, and with new size offerings for this year, it will only increase the chance for racers to set new absolute motorcycle track records by going even faster and doing so more consistently.”
In 2019, Pirelli-equipped riders relied on the performance of the DIABLO Superbike slicks to claim a total of seven absolute motorcycle track records across the nation. As the official tire supplier for the MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship, Pirelli’s research and development team has spent countless hours fine-tuning its race compound tires at the highest level and to ensure they are capable of performing in all conditions. The World Superbike-derived technology will provide riders with two new sizes for 2020, which include the 125/70-17 front and 200/65-17 rear sizes.
“It’s great to see Pirelli bring back the Pirelli Nation Track Record Bounty Program for 2020,” said Adam Robarts, professional racer. “I’ve been fortunate enough to capture a handful of track records the past several seasons and this keeps me hungry to keep improving myself and go get some more. I’m really anxious to get some time on the new DIABLO™ Superbike sizes and hope to make this my best year yet!”
Robarts led the way for Pirelli-equipped riders in 2019, earning an impressive three absolute motorcycle track record bounties aboard his BMW S 1000 RR. His track records took place at The Ridge Motorsports Park, Pacific Raceway, and Mission Raceway park.
This bounty is valid for qualifying riders at race-sanctioned events, including (but not exclusive to) AFM, ASRA, ASMA, CCS, CMRA, CVMA, CRA, FMRRA, MRA, MCRA, OMRRA, SMRI, USBA, WMRRA and WERA.
To qualify for a Pirelli track record bounty:
- The rider and bike must be using Pirelli racing compound front and rear tires when the record is broken
- The race club must verify the new absolute motorcycle track record and Pirelli tire use. Pirelli and the vendor will confirm the new record with said race official
- If the lap is broken more than once at a specific race-sanctioned event, the last and fastest record will get the “bounty” (capped at one “bounty” per race event weekend)
- Each track layout limits the “bounty” by two times per year for each rider
- Track days and open practice days are not eligible for riders to claim the “bounty”
- The “bounty” is limited to the first 10 riders to qualify in 2020