This past Veterans Day, Can-Am On-Road and the Road Warrior Foundation (RWF) gave a group of veterans an adventure therapy experience of a lifetime during the RWF’s annual Road Warrior Ride. The event, which kicked off at the 2021 Fall Spyder, Bike and Trike Fest on Nov. 6, provided veterans with the opportunity to really feel the healing power that comes from escaping the ordinary and riding the open road on board Can-Am Spyder 3-Wheel Vehicles. With dozens of participants, the diverse group included veterans from different backgrounds and hometowns across the country, active-duty soldiers, as well as numerous supporters and team members from Can-Am On-Road and RWF.
Can-Am On-Road’s support of the RWF’s Road Warrior Ride is just one example of how the company, its owner community and network of dealers continue to give back to military veterans with what they call “adventure therapy.”
During the first day of the Road Warrior Ride, which ran through Nov. 12, the entire group got to know each other while receiving their gear and vehicles. First-time riders who had recently completed the Can-Am Rider Education Program also had the opportunity to participate in a group ride training before embarking on their journey.
“One of the unique things about the Can-Am On-Road vehicle lineup is the ability to truly open the road to everyone,” said Craig Anders, co-founder of the Road Warrior Foundation. “That’s critical for our focus on Adventure Therapy, and it’s something no other manufacturer can offer in terms of offering a true open-road riding experience for people of all skill levels.”
After the group ride training and being honored at the event, the group departed Deland, Florida, on Sunday, Nov. 7. From there, they enjoyed some of the country’s most scenic roads on their way to Virginia, where they capped off the event skydiving in Suffolk, Viriginia.
- Friday, Nov. 5: Arrival in Deland, Florida
- Saturday, Nov. 6: Fall Spyder, Bike & Trike Fest | Training Day
- Sunday, Nov. 7: Deland, Floridia, to Apalachicola, Floridia
- Monday, Nov. 8: Apalachicola, Florida, to Columbus, Georgia
- Tuesday, Nov. 9: Columbus, Georgia, to Marietta, Georgia, via the Talladega National Forest
- Wednesday, Nov. 10: Marietta, Georgia, to Asheville, North Carolina, via the Chattahoochee and Nantahala National Forest, featuring the Tail of the Dragon
- Thursday, Nov. 11 (Veterans Days): Asheville, North Carolina, to Roanoke, Virginia, featuring the Blue Ridge Pkwy
- Friday, Nov. 12: Roanoke, Virginia, to Suffolk, Virginia
- Saturday, Nov. 13: Jump 4 Valor Skydive Boogie at Skydive Suffolk
- Sunday, Nov. 14: Departure
“The annual Road Warrior Ride is a life-changing experience packed with fun, camaraderie and escape from the challenges of everyday life,” said Jason Baxley, wounded veteran, 2015 Annual Ride participant and RWF board member.“ The healing power of hitting the open road with other like-minded individuals is incredibly powerful. So much so that I joined RWF shortly after my ride so I could be part of the mission to provide Adventure Therapy to others in need.”
This year marks the seventh year that Can-Am On-Road has been the title sponsor of the RWF. Over that span, the two organizations have given hundreds of military veterans a taste of Adventure Therapy and introduced many new riders to the joy of hitting the open road. To enable that, Can-Am provides a fleet of vehicles to RWF to use for rides throughout the year and also donates a vehicle every year for RWF to use for fundraising, generally via raffle or auction.