BMW Motorrad has announced the arrival of the new BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.
Building on the dynamic performance characteristics of the R 1200 GS, the OEM claims the latest BMW large capacity enduro "provides the new, ultimate solution for globetrotters, travel enduro aficionados and touring riders with a passion for off-road action."
The new R 1200 GS Adventure is powered by the same air/liquid-cooled boxer engine featured on the R 1200 GS, with a displacement of 1,170 cc and an output of 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm. The stand-out feature of the power unit – introduced last year after being newly developed for the R 1200 GS – is the new precision cooling system that uses water instead of oil as a cooling agent. Also new is the engine’s through-flow (intake/exhaust), which is now vertical for even more efficient power output, as well as the six-speed gearbox that is integrated into the engine housing along with the wet clutch. For the first time on a BMW production motorcycle, the maintenance-free cardan-shaft drive is now positioned on the left-hand side. To enhance rideability, especially on off-road terrain, the drive’s flywheel mass has been increased by 2.1 pounds and an extra vibration damper has been incorporated into the powertrain.
Like the R 1200 GS, the Adventure is also built around a robust and torsionally resistant tubular steel spaceframe. However, it has a larger 7.9 gallon fuel tank (2.6 gallons more than on the R 1200 GS) to allow for an increased range, while the fuel tank itself is now made from lightweight aluminum. The R 1200 GS Adventure already comes equipped as standard with ABS, Automatic Stability Control (ASC), as well as the two riding modes “Rain” and “Road”, which enable the riding characteristics to be adapted to most road conditions. This considerably enhances its range of use while also providing a significant safety boost on slippery surfaces, according to the company.
Three additional riding modes can be added by ordering the optional Ride Modes Pro feature, which is accompanied by the Enduro settings for ABS and ASC for off-road riding. The three extra riding modes – Dynamic, Enduro and Enduro Pro (which can be activated with a coding plug) – make it possible to adjust the settings of both ASC and ABS and, if fitted, the semi-active suspension Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) to suit the specific requirements of off-road operation.
Besides new bodywork styling, the globetrotting abilities and greater off-road expertise of the new R 1200 GS Adventure are clearly brought to the forefront by a new chassis setup with an additional 0.8 inches of spring travel, increased ground clearance and a trailing arm with modified geometry for even better handling, according to BMW. A larger windshield with convenient hand-wheel adjustment, additional air flaps as well as hand guards greatly increase wind and weather protection. Wide enduro footrests, adjustable, reinforced foot-operated levers and completely restyled bodywork add the finishing touches to the look of the new R 1200 GS Adventure.
According to the company, highlights of the new BMW R 1200 GS Adventure:
• Based on the same versatile overall concept as the R 1200 GS, with spirited twin-cylinder boxer engine and agile chassis, but with enhanced off-road prowess and
• Increased flywheel mass in the engine and additional vibration damper for even
smoother running and superior rideability.
• Spring travel 0.8 inches longer at front and rear compared to R 1200 GS.
• 0.4 inches more ground clearance than predecessor.
• Modified geometry of trailing arm for even sharper handling.
• Completely restyled bodywork in distinctly robust and masculine GS Adventure design.
• 7.9 gallon fuel tank with similar range to predecessor.
• ABS, ASC and two riding modes as standard.
• Three further riding modes available as factory option.
• Semi-active suspension Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) available as
• More comfortable height and tilt-adjustable rider seat.
• Large, adjustable windshield and air flaps.
• Wide enduro footrests.
• Adjustable, reinforced foot-operated levers.
• Robust engine and tank protection bar.
• Wide range of accessories and factory options.